The consumer is supplied with purified natural gas. 98% of the mixture is methane. It has neither odor nor color, is combustible, weighs lighter than air, when accumulated to a critical value it becomes explosive. These properties make the blue fuel very dangerous.
Since methane is light, it accumulates at the top of the room, closer to the ceiling. At high ceiling height, the consumer may not notice it, even considering that the household gas mixture is enriched with special odorants.
Reasons for Gas Leak From Stove
Leakage is possible due to professional errors in the installation of gas utilities or as a result of domestic accidents. The first refers to the first one:
- manufacturing faults: defective speakers, faulty burners and pipes;
- cracks and crevices in the hose, poor fixing;
- wear and tear of materials – if the hose gaskets or seals on the cranes are leaking gas, it becomes dangerous to use the device;
- burner defects;
- gas cylinder damage.
- incomplete closure of the burner tap, resulting in a small constant leakage;
- extinction of the flame in a gas appliance due to drafts or air gusts;
- flooding of the burner during cooking.
Methods of Detection Gas Leak From Stove
Methane is not toxic and is considered physiologically harmless. It is impossible to understand that there is a leak, by the way, it feels. The first signs of exposure – dizziness, dry mouth, pulse rate – appear at its concentration in the air 25-30%. However, with oxygen methane forms an explosive mixture much earlier – already at 5-6%.
There are special techniques to help simplify the detection of leaks.
|Eye Detection||The normal color of the flame in the burner is blue. If the flame tongues appear yellow or red, it means that methane does not burn completely and the flame changes color due to soot.|
As a result, carbon dioxide, methane, and carbon monoxide enter the air. The latter is much more toxic. If the burner burns red, you need to turn off the appliance immediately and call the gasmen: the stove clearly needs cleaning.
|Hearing determination||Although the pressure in the gas pipeline is minimal, the pressure in the room is even lower. You can find out that there was a leak by sound. When you turn on the stove, you will hear a whistling or hissing.|
|Definition by odor||Since a household gas leak is extremely dangerous to facilitate its detection, odorants are added to natural gas. These are sulfur-containing substances with an extremely unpleasant sharp odor that can be detected at negligible concentrations.|
|Determination with soapy water||Lather the soap in plain water and lubricate the pipe and connection points with it. If there is a leak, the solution will start to bubble.|
Actions in Case of Gas Leak Detection
- If there is an odor of gas, the color of the flame has changed, you hear a whistle, you must immediately turn off all running gas appliances and shut off the methane supply tap.
- If the whistle appeared near the tap itself and the strongest smell is felt there, cover this part of the pipe with a wet cloth.
- If the gas coming out of the pipe, caught fire, you can not extinguish it. As long as it burns, there is no danger of explosion. It is necessary to close the tap and open the windows.
- Immediately open the windows and doors to create a strong draught. The sooner the methane wets out of the room, the less risky it is to ignite. Open windows in the kitchen and in all other rooms.
- Do not use electrical appliances or turn on lights when a leak is detected. You should turn off the power on the flap. This is the best way to prevent the occurrence of accidental sparks.
- Never use matches or a lighter in a gassed room or on-site.
- After disconnecting the devices, the emergency service will be called. It is recommended to call firemen. The call should be made on the floor below, where you can’t smell the gas. It is best to do it on the street.
- It is better to warn the neighbors about the leak. You should not call the doorbell – you should knock.